I didn't mean to start anything mentioning Princess Margaret the other day.
I think some Americans of a certain age grew up watching the fairy-tale
pagentry and tabloid and gossip accounts of the British royal family and
being intrigued and interested in it.  As for Margaret it seems like she was
always being gossiped about since I can remember.  Anytime a new item came
up about her, my parents would always counter it with saying that she
deserved compassion and understanding because of some of the raw deals she
was dealt regarding Townsend, etc.  I think some feel similar reactions to
stories about Diana and some of the others.   At any rate, they are just
humans who, for all their privilege, suffer just like everyone else and in
different ways, too, because of their positions.  I'm not saying she was
Mother Teresa, but she was an interesting person and it seems (from my
long-distance view) that she was a very good mother judging how her children
seemed to have grown up.  I remember all the slams in the tabloids about
Fergie for years that made her sound like a total mess.  Then by chance I
happened to meet her briefly once at a charity event and she was nothing at
all like she had been portrayed.   I was very impressed with her and thought
she seemed to be a great person.   Don't ask me for my opinion of Charles,
however - his stock is rather low in my book! ;-)

Kakki