Kakki,

Thanks for informing us about Julia's concert. I am a fan of this
singer/songwriter and I had the chance of meeting her when she performed in
Manila a few years ago. She has this cult following in the Philippines
because her songs so lovingly captured the exact shade of being so alone
and lost and heartbroken, being transported to the high heavens when one
experiences love for the first time. And the melody to her songs pulled at
the emotional heartstrings. And what a lovely voice to complement a lovely
woman. When I met her after her concert, my girlfriend told me later that
my eyes never left Julia and that she saw me glow with such almost-nuclear
intensity in a matter of minutes when Julia came out. As I can't see myself
during that time, much less, be aware there are people around us, I denied
I was that pathetic-looking. Julia has that effect on people, yes?

She can be hilarious, too. Her jokes are so on-target, one wonders what
level of comedy and hilarity she can achieve if she decided to ditch her
songwriting and focus being a stand-up comedian.

I heard her sing Minnie Riperton's "Loving You" live and on record and
Jeez! a wide range! Heard her sing Gershwin's "Someone to Watch Over Me" in
MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS soundtrack. Lovely renditions.

I heard in the JF List that Virgin Records is not that good at marketing
her sound and her album that Julia opted for an indie label to release her
latest project called CONCRETE LOVE. We were all discussing in the other
List what other people's songs we want Julia to cover, and a great list
member said "Amelia". I chimed that I would love to hear her do "Blue Motel
Room". Her voice is perfect for these kinds of songs/vehicles.

Lastly, let me tell you what she did in that concert I watched. There was a
request from one guy for her to sing "Love Moves in Mysterious Ways" so he
can propose to a woman right there and then. When Julia did sing it.. the
guy who sat in the front row, went to his girlfriend's seat and kneeled
before her and offered her a ring. Everyone was watching and everyone gave
a thunderous applause to that moment. Julia stopped in the middle of the
song and said: "Did she say yes?" When told she did, a standing ovation was
given to the couple and Julia sang the song with such tenderness, its
almost surreal. Almost everyone in the concert hall shed happy tears. Julia
can do that to you.

Joseph
(wants Julia to sing at his wedding, too)