Sherelle wrote:

>I think there is such a thing as a hip hop culture. In the mid to late
>seventies, we had The Sugar Hill Gang and Grandmaster Flash who in my
>opinion, were early forerunners of the hip hop culture we know today. We also
>had electronic dance music like that which came from the German group,
>Kraftwerk (Trans-Europe Express) which as a Black person, I remember being
>very popular with the Black community in the late seventies. I feel that rap
>music came about from the meshing of the two styles.

To what degree does the history of rap predate the mid to late 1970s? In
1970 Roeg & Cammell's PERFORMANCE soundtrack featured "Wake Up Niggers" by
The Last Poets, certainly proto-rap. I wasn't aware of hearing rap before
Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" exploded all over the radio.

There's also Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" from 1965, which I
never connected as rap until I saw it performed as a rap song much later in
a movie (whose title I disremember). Since I am, to understate it, not fond
of rap, this caused severe mental conflicts, since I am very much a Dylan fan.

I never thought of Kraftwerk as being popular with the Black community, and
I certainly wouldn't have thought of that style as being a cornerstone of
rap music. Interesting.

Gil
NP: Bob Dylan, Dark Eyes