Kakki wrote:

>"Unknown Legends of Rock and Roll -
>Psychedelic Unknowns, Mad Geniuses, Punk Pioneers, Lo-Fi Mavericks and More"
>
>"You could not, by most stretches of the imagination, call Davey Graham a
>rock guitarist.  But the fact is, you couldn't really call him  a blues,
>folk or jazz guitarist, either.  He's all of those things and none of those
>things. What Graham did in the 60s was bring an unsurpassed eclecticism to
>the craft of guitar virtuosity.  He both anticipated and influenced the
>British psychedelic rock, blues-rock, and folk-rock scenes to an extent that
>is woefully underappreciated to this day.... Like [John] Fahey and [Sandy]
>Bull, Graham was one of the first Western guitarists of any sort to
>incorporate middle eastern modes and Indian ragas into his music. Unlike
>Fahey and Bull, however, Graham is mostly unknown in the U.S., even on a
>cult level, as most of his records were never released stateside....Paul
>Simon, who met Graham in the mid-60s during a residency in England,even
>asked Davey to join him as an accompanist at one point.

And copped his "Angie" for an early Simon & Garfunkel album.

>When you hear Jimmy
>Page play intricate acoustic guitar leads in Led Zeppelin's quieter moments,
>or Richard Thompson genre-hopping between folk, blues and more, you're also
>hearing Graham's legacy,  British songwriter Pete Brown, who co-wrote
>several Cream classics with Jack Bruce, calls Graham 'one of the first world
>musicians.' and sees him in the start of 'a whole kind of genre of people,'
>extending through Renbourn, Jansch, and Thompson in particular.....

And John Renbourn or Bert Jansch covered "Angie" or "Anji" as well, and
demonstrated a technique surpassing Paul Simon's. Odd that "Angie" wasn't
mentioned in the passage you quoted.

And while we're on the subject of Pentangle, their debut album was no
slouch, either.

Gil