In our JMDL Glossary, it has a reference for "Chitlins", a term that as a South
Carolinian I'm very familiar with.

BUT I don't think this is the correct interpretation for what Joni is saying in
"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" (the song that uses the phrase). The context is:

When the bandstands had a thousand ways
Of refusing a black man admission
Black musician
In those days they put him in an
Underdog position
They put him in
Cellars and chitlins'

Now I think what she's saying is that black musicians could not play or attend shows
in the established (white) clubs, but rather had to depend on what was called the
"chitlin' circuit", venues/homes whatever that featured black musicians & audiences.

I'm sure that the name "chitlin circuit" was given as that was what the performers
were fed, but I don't think the definition in the glossary is totally correct in terms
of what Joni was writing about.

Bob

NP: Lauryn Hill, "Everything Is Everything"