SCJoniGuy wrote, re: Roger McGuinn's version of "Dreamland":
> It's on his LP "Cardiff Rose". I like McGuinn on a song like "Chestnut
Mare", but he can't get the rhythm or the melodic line of Dreamland and it's
pretty horrible. >

To give Roger his due, here ... McGuinn's version of "Dreamland" is based on
Joni's own early version of the song, which was quite different from the
version that was released on "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter." Joni taught it
to Roger soon after she'd written it (accompanying herself on guitar on
"Dreamland," then), when both were touring together with Dylan in his
Rolling Thunder Revue (1975).

Roger's "Cardiff Rose" LP was a direct outgrowth of that traveling minstrel
show, and it's one of my favorites of his solo albums. He included a brand
new Dylan song on it, too - "Up To Me" - which was about to become "Tangled
Up In Blue" on Dylan's "Blood On The Tracks." Dylan's own version of "Up To
Me" (an early outtake from BOTT) can be heard on the "Biograph" box set.

In both cases, McGuinn took the embryonic versions of the songs into the
studio, and his versions are accurate representations of the songs as they
existed at that time.

Best,
(Boston) Jim