hi all !  i too am a fan of " cool water ," ( i just love it when joni does
covers ! )  joni didn't write the tune but she did revise the lyrics to make
them more timely.  the song was written by bob nolan in 1936.  i remember
hearing it in my youth, my dad was a country-western fan,  but i don't recall
who performed it.  i have always enjoyed joni's covers, she does such clever
things with other people's material . i thought the way she included " the
star spangled banner " in the title song of DJRD was nothing short of genius.
 who can forget her wonderful version of  " twisted " from CS, or the smooth
" how do you stop " from TI ?  what about her reworking of 2nd corinthians on
WTRF, one of my favorite passages from the bible, turning it into a
beautifully effect peice of pop music ! i've always admired her ability to
include snipets of songs within her compositions: " centerpeice " on HOSL,
and " unchained melody " on WTRF.  not to mention an entire album of covers
in BSN.  ( she always brings something new and exciting to the mix ! )  i
remain delighted when she includes a cover on her releases and hope she will
see fit to do more in the future. ( keep up the good work joan ! )  i would
also like to give my support to " reoccurring dream ." one of my favorite
songs from CMIARS.   i was truly taken by this peice from the get-go . i love
the layering of sound and voices which she uses to create a dream-like
atmosphere to the song. ( like being nlulled into a trance.)  i seem to
recall reading this song was leftover from DED, it does use the same sampling
technique so prevalent on that album . i do go on...can one ever get enough
of joni ? i think not !

joni covers,
warren keith

p.s. i beleive " cool waters " was recorded by the pioneers,  or maybe it was
the sons of the pioneers. someone help me out here...