North (NJC)

> One more coincidence, Mark:  this same Dr. Carol North is mentioned
several
> times in Newsweek's March 11 cover story  on schizophrenia.  She is
described
> as "a respected psychiatrist and researcher at Washington University,"
> apparently first heard voices when she was 16, and tells of how they
taunted
> her with the "fact" that she wasn't good enough to get into medical
school,
> couldn't pass an exam, etc.

According to her book her symptoms began long before she was 16.  She was
hearing voices and having hallucinations as early as the time she & I were
playmates.  That would have made her around 6 or 7 years old.  She actually
got through 2 years of medical school while experiencing severe chronic
symptoms of schizophrenia - voices that told her to kill herself more than
once, hallucinations, hearing non-existent helicopters and sometimes even
going into near catatonic states.

  Later in the article, she says that she thought
> there were "10,000 universal truths that I needed to understand, that
there
> were messages in the pattern of paint on the wall and in the pattern of
> concrete."

I'm going to have to hunt down this article.  Thanks for the heads up, Mary.

Mark E in Seattle