>>I think it is just dangerous and un-American to stifle creativity in any
way.  To force engineers who design cars that they must meet even more
government standards and criteria is wrong.  Wrong for America!!  The
whittling away effect you wrote so eloquently about??<<

Well you won't get any argument from me about the stiffling of creativity!
However, concerning the subject of our human freedoms (in this case car
choice) & protecting the environment, I do feel there have to be regulations
in place which help to balance things out. Keeping the balance is as
important for our own survival. We need open land, clean air, clean water,
trees for oxygen, etc.

>>The average flow of traffic in the city in which  I live, as you know is
Cincinnati, is 75/80mph.>>

Well this helps explain a lot about my husband who loves to drive fast &
scares the heck out of me. He grew up in your part of the world.