"Mark or Travis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I was reading the liner notes for 'Night Ride Home' (not that I do
>>that very often to quote her 'High'ness...man..) and noted that Joni
>> is credited with , amongst other things, playing the clarinet (..or
>> oboe?.. brain cells gone) on 'The Only Joy in Town' Is this right?
>> can someone confirm? or deny
>>

> I believe that's keyboard oboe.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  This
>annoys my friend Melanie who thinks that Joni's ego has gotten way out
>of hand.  'She doesn't play the oboe!'

Yeah, I think the oboe credit is a bit jive. As Danny Kaye once said, "The
oboe is an ill wind that no one blows good." It's a bitch of an instrument;
extremely difficult to play at all, let alone play well. Some of my best
friends are oboe players, including the great master Paul McCandless. Now,
*there's* an oboe player!

-Fred