[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>But this is for certain,
>Joni has an instrument in her mouth...unless it's a really big cigarette.

It's a bong.

>Besides, (and I don't know how accurate a Fairlight is) I can hear some
>very tactile sounds on the oboe solo on the song "The Only Joy In Town."  You
>can hear the stops on the oboe making little clicking noises in the same way
>that

The Fairlight was an early sampler, and a good one. So its oboe sample
probably would have had key clicks, etc., in it. But if put side by side with
a really good oboist, even moderately discerning ears could tell the
difference.

I'll bet the instrument in the photo is a recorder (a vertical flute). While
there are masters of that instrument, it's more readily played by almost
anyone, hence its proliferation in school music classes. If Joni really
played the oboe, I think she would do so a little more often than just once.

-Fred