Origin. The modern guitar has it's roots in Spain..although I haven't
heard the term in years...."spanish guitar" used to be used to refer to
the regular steel string acoustic guitar. Not very succinct, since
classical
and flamenco nylon string guitars are also widely identified with Spain.
Maybe that's why the term "acoustic guitar" replaced it. Come to think
of it, "acoustic guitar" isn't very desciptive either, since all non
electric
guitars are acousticly amplifed. "Steel string" is probably a better term.

The old guitar manuals (my first was a Nick Manoloff) all had titles
like "How To Play The Spanish Guitar". It has fallen out of use, at
least on this side of the pond. Where did you hear it?
"Spanish tuning" is another name for the modern, standard guitar
tuning.
RR