Also thanks to all the rest of my JMDL pals who gave
> up their time to make it a knockout weekend and one that I'll never
forget.

I would like to add to this and especially thank Kay Ashley for putting me
up in her spacious apartment, making sure I could get everywhere I wanted
to go, lending me her baby Taylor, playing scrabble with me (a very close
game which her roommate won), and being a generally excellent hostess.

I enjoyed getting to finally visit Judy's after hearing so much about it
for so long.  It was quite a ball hanging with everyone and I actually ran
into a friend there from Atlanta who had moved to NY some time ago and was
meeting someone there the same night.  What are the chances of that
happening I wonder???

I spent much of my time in NY simply wandering down streets and exploring
different areas of Manhattan.  I spent about an hour walking around the
business district in lower Manhattan and I was very glad I did.  For all
the footage they've showed on tv over and over at different angles, from
different sources and whatnot...it all pales considerably in comparison to
actually being there.  I know that where I'm coming from is a far cry from
the people who live and work there every day but I sat on the dock in the
harbor and looked up at the tall buildings and imagined what it must have
been like to see a huge airplane fly into those towers.  From that vantage
point, I could really tell how f'ing gigantic it must have been.

I'm not sure I can really even describe what it was like to go there but I
definately felt a somberness that pervades everything, a heaviness that
permeates even the calm, composed mass of people that go every which way
continually. And yet there exists a strong feeling of love and compassion
conveyed by the blankets and banners and teddybears and shirts hung on an
iron fence thats runs for quite some distance.

I looked for a long time over the wall surrounding the giant pit and saw
only a crane moving some debris around.  I kept trying to see if I could
see anything else, any other kind of activity that would give some kind of
definition to what was in essence a huge crater.  After some time, I slowly
realized that what is so haunting is that there is nothing there, nothing
to see.  I had waited an hour for them to open up the viewing platform but
I was only on for maybe half a second.  Everything I needed to know I had
already learned and being raised up in the air 20 feet or whatever, really
did nothing for me.  I felt a huge respect for the police working in the
area.  And there was one funny moment when what was supposedly some
delegation from China(incl. the vice president), about 8 or 9 short Chinese
men, came out from somewhere and they all jumped into the back of a
minivan, just piling in with their briefcases.  For some reason, it just
reminded me of the circus car, full of clowns who all fit into such a small
space.

I was completely bewitched by Greenwich Village.  I want to spend more time
there some day.  I played at the open mic at the Baggot Inn...the barmaid
was really sweet and nice and the owner bought me a beer.  Talked to a
musician from NJ for awhile and then went back to Kay's to share a few
songs.

The next day I walked around alot in Brooklyn which I really enjoyed alot
as well.  The botanical gardens were beautiful, all the cherry blossoms
where in bloom, and their oriental garden is simply beautiful( though it
wasn't particularly meditative with a bunch of school children in tow but I
still managed to have a peaceful walk)...in the garden is an endless
sidewalk that is host to a sort of "hall of fame".  There were all kinds of
famous names on the bricks with a leaf around each one.  I had no idea all
of these people were from Brooklyn.  Unfortunately, the museum was closed
that day but there will other trips.

All in all, I found people there quite friendly and New York is an endless
source of adventure and good times.  I'm still wide awake at this early(or
late depending on your perspective) hour as we just got back from seeing
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, a mixture of jazz, funk, soul, fusion...go see
them- they're a lot of fun.. they even opened up their first set with a
cool Stevie Wonder tune, the instrumental that comes before "Sir Duke" on
SITKOL.

I think I'm starting to fade though... I hope

best,
Victor

--- Victor Johnson
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]