Rarely am I struck by moments when while listening to Joni's music, the
sheer cinematic power in the synchronization of the scene I'm viewing live
and the music is overwhelming.  I've had two great ones before, one was
while looking out the window of a transcontinental flight over the western
and southwestern US, with "Paprika Plains."  The second was the orchestral
version of "A Case of You" while riding a train down the eastern bank of the
Hudson River.  The third was tonight, at around 2am, a beautiful calm still
night in Los Angeles, driving slowly down a forlorn Santa Monica Boulevard
in downtown Hollywood with "The Wolf That Lives In Lindsay."   I will carry
these chills forever.

Another context also occurred to me in relation to the discussion of "Joni's
ragged sound" on some tracks, or as some have put it, her refusal to
sacrifice the emotion in performance to the pursuit of sonic perfection.  I
don't believe I have ever heard a studio masterpiece as brilliantly
conceived and perfectly realized as "The Wolf That Lives In Lindsay."  Sound
balance and rhythmic flows have never been so deftly placed before or since
by anyone, in my humble opinion.  It is, simply, aural manna.

CC

PS .  Another good moment was cruising Sunset Boulevard with Kakki to "Don
Juan's Reckless Daughter."

"If you've got a place to go, you just got to go there." -- JM