In a message dated 5/12/02 11:00:17 AM, AsharaJM writes:

<< Thanks, guys.  I just found out today that i may have toxoplasmosis in my
brain, which would explain my walking like a drunk and not being able to
think of words all the time -- or there may be a brain tumor. >>

Walt,

This is TERRIBLE news!!! I am really concerned for you. Please keep me
posted. Sending you lots of healing energy. >>

Ashara -- thanks, belated, for the healing energy.  They were able to rule
out toxo, but two days after a CT (cat scan) was unable to find any evidence
of a brain [pause for laughter and applause], my neurologist ordered an MRI
[the technologist, a sweet young guy, asked if I'd had one before;  I said
no;  he asked if I had any questions;  I said "since this test uses magnetic
waves, will I be inclined to turn north when I leave the building?";  he
examined my face carefully to see if I was kidding;  I said, "I mean, am i
gonna walk to Sausalito or something?";  finally he smiled and said it was
best if i stopped when i got to the piers in the Marina.]

If the MRI fails to locate a brain, they'll probably resort to sticking a
microscope in my ear -- my fear is that it will fall in and come out my
mouth.

Okay, enough kidding -- all of this will probably result in their ruling out
brain tumor(s),  micro-strokes, abscess(es) or whatever other horror they can
think up.

What started all this was the fact that I suddenly started crashing into
walls when I tried walking without meticulously planning it out -- I crashed
into walls *particularly* in my own home -- I walk more carefully outside,
just like most people do -- so now at home I walk like Mr. Burns on the
Simpsons, leaning forward with hands extended.  The nerves on my right hand
and foot are pretty much gone, and the nerves on the left extremities are
nearly so -- this was caused by years on toxic drugs to keep me alive.  So
now, I've dropped one of the antivirals, and with any luck, the nerves will
sloooooowly come back over the next 2-5 years, or my body will find a way
around the dead nerves with other nerves, with similar results.  My past
experience is that the sense of feeling comes back faster than they warn you;
 they're told to be pessimists.

What concerns my neurologist is not the extreme neuropathy, but its
asymmetry; ironically, I wasn't even *aware* of this asymmetry -- I was
concerned about my occasional fogginess -- inability to think of extremely
common nouns and verbs (technically:  transient dysphasia) when speaking,
which was unbelievably irritating, even frightening, for someone like me -- I
mean, I've never been strong or good-looking, my mind is all I have.  Anybody
else would have been alarmed by wall-crashing and phantom bruises, but no,
not me, I freak out when I can't think of the word "twine".

So, now I'm waiting to hear if they've found a brain yet -- the MRI is more
detailed and newer, so it may be a week before I hear from them.  Anyone who
wants -- I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and I have every intention of attending the Joni-fest -- Anne has to
teach the songwriting workshop, and I have to take it, if either or both of
us has to be rolled in.

Love, and thanks for everyone's concerns and well wishes,

Walt Breen in SF