---- Original Message ----
From: flopit [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 4-Jun-2002 19:48:17
To: JMDL Digest [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Subject: RE: JMDL Digest V2002 #240

hi

know the answer since the distress signal is derived from the homophonic
French "M'aidez," which of course means "Help Moi!" <<<

majored in French :-) (and look where it got me...) And, since you asked, I
just heard something on the radio the other day (no lie!) that explained
that it's "m'aider" instead of "m'aidez" because it's an abbreviation of
"Venez m'aider."

Don't you just hate it when she does that??? :-) (gotta show off the
thousands somehow - all those big bucks didn't do anything else for

actually - that is a common misconception to cover up the truth.

"mayday" is actually a mispronunciation of "Merde!!" :-)

ron

whose sole distinguishing moment during his 2 years airforce was bringing
in a "mayday" aircraft safe & sound!!

np beth orton - stolen car