--- "Josh Eubank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> e-queried:
>Anyone on the list own a strat?  If so, what are the differences in the three
>>different types...I've been told there were three, the American, the Japenese, >and
>the Mexican strat!  Do they sound >different?

Hi Josh--
jan gyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have both Japanese and American Strats.  Interestingly, the Japanese >ones seem
>better made.-jan
IAWJ.  I've found that the newer American-made Strats tend to be pretty clunky, having
neither the tone or feel of the Japanese Strats.  The Mexican strats were okay, not as
good as the Japanese, esp. regarding the consistent quality.  One really important
factor is the neck stability; the tech who works on my guitars can work up a good rant
over string buzzing, intonation problems, dead spots, etc.  Overall, I've been
disappointed to see the continuing decline in quality of Am-made Fenders; even the
Custom shop models seem overly-priced, given the quality control problems.  I have two
Strats, both Am. made (the 1st is a '64, bought when they listed for $289--the end of
the golden era!), and the other a custom shop '58 model.  The 2nd was bought when I
had a credit card burning a hole in my pocket; and the price had been lowered to
around 60% off the $2800 list.  _That_ one's had loads of work done, particularly on
the neck.  And the finish is nowhere as good as the price wo!
uld suggest (ie, rich color, but spotty execution).  And the tech has told me that
that's not an exception--but then again, he can't stand dealing w/Fender; so his
opinion is a bit, well, biased.

Whatever you intend to get, make sure there's a good tech near you (the guy who does
my work is 100 miles away in Phoenix--and the drive's worth it).  Given the great
numbers of guitars produced today, you need someone who knows shit from shinola when
it comes to making your guitar do what _you_ need it to do.
Best,
Denny