This has been a very interesting discussion, which has seemed to hinge around
two strands.  As far as The Biz is concerned, I think pretty much anything
Joni says is probably fair comment, as the biz is corrupt, venal, obsessed
with short-term gain, etc etc.

The strand that exercises me is the pretty much constant dismissing of other
musicians and performers (apart from Miles Davis, of course, about whom I
have differing views, but I'm not gonna go there :-)  Anyway, it occurred to
me recently that Joni's career trajectory can be likened, loosely speaking,
to that of another superstar who has a very different attitude to his peers
and "juniors".

Does the following sound familiar??

Started performing in the 60s, part of which he spent slogging around folk
clubs.  Had songs covered by better known artists before having real success
himself.  In the 70s he was a colossus, releasing a string of mould-breaking
albums, which divided critics at the time, and are now seen as classics.  The
80s was a lean period, during which both the work rate and quality declined.
The 90s then saw a partial return to form, with albums that were reasonably
well received, but commercially didn't exactly set the Thames on fire.

OK, I'm talking about David Bowie, and there are plenty of anomalies in that
comparison (for one thing, Joni never committed a Tin Machine!).  Where I see
a big difference is that Bowie has always been a great enthusiast, working
with different, often much younger collaborators, championing up-and-coming
bands, and generally embracing cultural life.  Joni, as has been noted, has
been much more reserved (insular, even), making vaguely catty comments about
"the competition" and even saying she's a painter first and musician second,
which makes NO SENSE to me.

This may sound like a judgment, and isn't meant to be - certainly not a
judgment about either of them as people; they just approach their art
indifferent ways.  Where Joni loses out, it seems to me, is that her jaded
attitude isn't going to help he creatively.  Bowie's 90s albums were
variable, and maybe only a fan could love all of them - but they always
brimmed over with ideas, brio and enthusiasm - he sounded as if he really
enjoyed making them - he was having FUN!

So, maybe that would be my advice to Joni - have some fun!

Azeem in London
NP: USA v South Korea, just ended, 1-1 - USA continue to prosper...