>>I've seen him on a few shows including the John Lennon tribute, and...to
me he sings off pitch and not very well. >>

you know, i'd heard this about him & i do have a pretty discerning ear for
off pitch singing but he was was most certainly not off pitch...he had one
of the most amazing voices i've ever heard...so i wonder, does he have off
nights, was he not able to hear himself in the monitors... of course i only
heard him doing a solo thing & two songs with chris, but even if you don't
like his music style, i can't imagine not being blown away by his
voice...interesting that he has such a wide gulf of critics/fans...that was
certainly what i perceived in the audience...

could it be that i was rasied on broadway tunes? rufus reminded me of a
singing stephen sondheim...

ps, i heard no vibrato in his voice either...hmmm...