Bree wrote:

"This brought to mind, Kate,I recently watched a womens golf tournament in
which the woman who won was forty something.  Well...the darn announcer
never let the audience forget.  If he brought her age up once, he brought it
up a good dozen times.  To the point I was getting really annoyed.  Now,
anybody that knows even a little about the game of golf knows it has as much
to do with mental strength as well as the physical side of it too. ( But you
know this little old lady of forty could hardly make it round the eighteen
holes much less concetrate on her game.  How she pulled this off...a
miracle...I tell you.  This was the guys attitude.   )  Same scenario....but
if it was a forty something man who won....would his age have had the same
focus?  ???????"

Sorry, Bree, but I must disagree with you here.  The tournament you are
probably referring to is the U.S. Women's Open of a few weeks back, won by
Juli Inkster at the age of 42.  I did not hear most of the commentary, and so
don't know the tone in which the references to Inkster's age were delivered.
But the fact is, Inkster has enjoyed a remarkable career resurgence in recent
years, winning 3 or 4 major championships in her late 30s and early 40s,
including this one.  And, while golf is indeed a mental as well as a physical
game, winning multiple majors after twenty years on tour is not the usual
career trajectory for a professional.  I see the comments less as sexist or
"ageist" than as commending Inkster for a difficult job well done.

Announcers have made and do make similar comments about male golfers.  In
1998, when Mark O'Meara won both the Masters and the British Open in the same
year, quite a lot of attention was given to the fact that he was 41 years old
at the time, and that these were his first majors.  And as recently as last
Sunday, when forty-somethings predominated in the top ten spots at the Greater
Milwaukee Open, announcers at ABC went so far as to **post the ages** of all
those on the first page of the leaderboard.  The tournament was won by Jeff
Sluman, whose age of 44 was mentioned half a dozen times if it was mentioned
once.

OK.  Off my soapbox!  But you see, golf is my secret passion.  ;-)

Mary P.,
who stood no more than 5 feet away from Jack Nicklaus himself last Thursday, a
fellow spectator in the gallery following his son Gary in the first round of
the GMO.