Kate wrote:

"when i tell people about the jonifest i say we are going to a small festival
where musicians who have been heavily influenced by joni come from all over
the world to play with each other...

i put it on my gig page as a private event..."

And I say:  interesting, the different ways musicians and non-musicians look
at this!  I tell people, when I get that far, that Jonifest is a time when
people from all over the world who enjoy Joni's music come together to hang
out.  And, oh, yeah, listen to some in our midst who are far more talented
than I make really great music.  ;-)

As to partners liking, or not liking, Joni:  my long-time partner has never
made a secret of the fact that Joni is not his cup of tea.  I think that's
less a reflection on Joni than the fact that his musical tastes lie in
different directions:  mainly, classical Western music and "classical jazz,"
with perhaps some well-done show tunes sprinkled in.  And Joni's music means
too much to me to try to force it on anyone as a sort of apologist, so that's
an area of my life that I've continued to enjoy and develop in private,
outside our relationship.  I suppose I feel little or nothing of a "lack"
there, because the JMDL has been part of my life for nearly as long as he
has!

Interestingly enough, though, my partner has developed a healthy appreciation
for the JMDL.  We travel a lot, and he has come to expect that, almost
literally, I will have a "Joni friend" in every port who we can meet and have
a drink or dinner with.  He was with me in Saskatoon two years ago, and, to
this day, asks me about the well-being and current endeavors of the JMDLers he
met there.  (Hi, Ranger and Coyote Rick!)

Finally, although I suspect that my partner will never voluntarily go to a
Joni concert or sit through a tribute, he commented several times in Saskatoon
and thereafter that he really enjoyed Joni's PAINTINGS.  I think he'd
definitely go to another Joni *art exhibit*!

Mary P.

P.S.  It has occurred to me that the best point of introduction for J. of
Joni's music, if in many ways the least representative, would be _Both Sides
Now_.  Maybe I'll slip it into the CD player during our next Sunday dinner.
;-)