Any excuse for the Beeb to show some of these cracking clips from the 70s -
this time it's the 30th anniversary of the first edition, so "Whispering" Bob
Harris is wheeled out once more to introduce the fun.  Cracking show tonight:

Alice Cooper: Under My Wheels - yeah, back when he still had a voice to speak
of.  He was on Top of The Pops not long ago, and his voice is TOTALLY shot,
leaving him to use that painful Spraechgesang technique only employed by
people trying to do a Marlene, or those whose vocal cords have long given up
the ghost.  Anyway, this wasn't that great, to be honest, though the costumes
were a hoot.

Elton John: Tiny Dancer - this was vintage stuff, with Reg from Pinner
performing solo at the piano, the song more than substantial enough to prove
riveting viewing and listening.  Back when he was still hirsute...

Curtis Mayfield - damn, can't remember the title - wonderful stuff, small
band, silky voice, nifty guitar playing, great vibe.

David Bowie: 5 Years - I'd seen this before, but who cares?  Lovely
performance, and a chance to marvel again at what an extraordinarily
unphotogenic backing band the Spiders From Mars were - it's not as if he
lacked the charisma to blow them off stage regardless.  Shucks, must've been
cos they were a great band.  Wouldn't happen today!

Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge: Help Me Make It Through The Night - To
say this performance was erotically charged would be a sub-understatement.
They clearly weren't going to need anyone to help them through the night.
All of this would be pretty emetic if it weren't for the fact that it's a
superb rendition of a great song: both singing beautifully, especially Rita.
Oh and they used much sweeter chords than I managed in my version at the
Jonifest!

Rory Gallagher: No Frills R&B Stormer - OK, that wasn't the real title, but
you get the drift.

No Joni tonight, but I'm sure she must have appeared on the programme, so
maybe we'll get her over the next few weeks.

Azeem in London
NP: Mathilde Santing - To Others To One.  Song is a knee-weakeningly gorgeous
original tune called Palace Moon.