Hello Don,

  Welcome to the Joni list/family. You may notice the list is rather
quiet these days as many of us have left or are leaving to go to the
Northeast Joni Fest in the Catskill Mountains in New York State, USA. I
wanted to send a welcome to you from my partner Brian and myself.

Your story resonates a familiar chord in many of us, of that I am
certain. It is a wonderful place of learning, comraderie, kindred
spirits and life long friendships and love. It is no wonder that about
80 or so of us are coming together from all corners of the world for
the next 5 days, all in the name of Joni, beginning tomorrow.

Everything Ive learned about Joni Mitchell, her music, her life, I have
learned here. This list is an incredible source and resource of
everything you have always wanted to know and more. A cast of
characters, great people, intelligent conversations, and most of all,
for me, it's the friendships that have developed that keep me here. In
other words, you are in good company.

I am always happy to hear that partners as well as children in a family
love Joni too. That makes things much easier in the long run.

Brian is an American and I am a Canadian. We live in South Jersey
across the bridge from Philadelphia.

We've both loved Joni since the 70's and remain great fans of her work,
her art, her life. Brian has seen her more often than me, seems the US
holds more Joni concerts than Canada. We did see her together last
October in Toronto at the Hommage/tribute at Harbourfront. It was an
amazing, unbelievable moment when she went up on stage, sat down and
just started talking in her Joni way. She even treated us to some
impromptu piano playing, something she has not done in public in
approximately 30 years, so the story goes. It was awesome!

Neither of us play guitar and yet we sing our hearts out anywhere and
everywhere. As Joni says, the more (out of tune) voices, the better!
Singing is such joy for us.

We have an interest in star gazing, with not much experience at what we
are seeing.  Alas no scope, just a lot of feeling mesmerized at what's
up there. I'm lucky, I've seen the Northern Lights dance across the
cold August sky in Northern Ontario, a sight to behold, a sight i won't
soon forget. You have a different sky to gaze at than we. No southern
cross up here!

well, that's about it for now. Always more to say. A continuing saga
this  place is.

The list will pick up again after Monday when people return home to
their computers with tales from this weekend. Do try to come next year
if you can. It is worth every hour and every cent it takes to get to
there.

all the best,
Mags and Brian, aka Magsnbrei

=====