I think Joni is deliberately evoking several old folk songs in that song,
from "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" to "The Water is Wide." I think she's using
folk music to symbolize the innocence and naivete of her younger self,
although personally I don't think folk music is necessary innocent or naive.

I enjoyed that movie, BTW. Melodramatic and anachronistic, but the music
was great! Loved Iris Dement.