While the Chi-Lites did some lovely romantic work, they also did some
great social songs, still timely -

Found this album review of 1971's (For God's Sake) Give More Power to
the People:
The social messages on this album can easily be overlooked due to the
overwhelming success of the album's big hit, "Have You Seen Her."
Through the production work and penmanship of lead singer Eugene Record,
the Chi-Lites made some rather inviting contributions to the cause of
many with songs like "Yes I'm Ready," "We Are Neighbors" and the title
track "(For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People." The former
addresses the issue of school busing and integration during the late
'60s and early '70s. The second selection confronts the realities of
Blacks and Whites living side by side. The latter's title implies
politicians and/or the powers-that-be need to relinquish some of their
control and put some in the hands of the people. "Give More Power to the
People" peaked at number four on the Billboard R&B charts, and "Yes I'm
Ready" was never a release but is a standard among many Quiet Storm
formats. As for the romance the Chi-Lites became known for, "Have You
Seen Her" heads the list. The timeliness number had a two week run at
number one on the Billboard R&B charts. "I Want to Pay You Back," "Love
Uprising" and "You Got Me Walkin'" round out that list. The former is
mellower and the other two have bouncy rhythms. All the songs on this
album are polished with the group's exquisite three-part hamonies and
dynamic string and horn arrangements. ~ Craig Lytle, All Music Guide
http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,64153,00.html

(For God's Sake) Give More Power To The People
CHI-LITES
(Eugene Record)

        For God's sake, you got to give more power to the people

        There's some people up there hoggin' everything
        Tellin' lies, givin' alibis about the people's money and things
        And if they gonna throw it away, might as well give some to me
         Yeah they seen and heard it, but never had misery
        There are some people who are starvin' to death
        Never knew but only hate us [?], and they never had happiness
        Oh, oh, oh, if you don't have enough to eat, how can you think
of love
        You don't have the time to care so it's crime you're guilty of,
oh yeah

        For God's sake, you got to give more power to the people
        For God's sake, why don't you give more power to the people

        Cut this jive and see who's got the power to kill the most
        When they run out of power, the world's gonna be a ghost
        They know we're not satisfied, so we begin to holler
        Makin' us a promise and throwin' a few more dollars
        There's no price for happiness, there's no price for love
        Up goes the price of livin', and you're right back where you was

        So whatever you got, just be glad you got it
        Now we're gonna get on up and get some more of it

http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/lyrics/f/for_gods_sake_give_more_power_to_the_people.txt

and Chi-Lites history:
http://www.onlinetalent.com/Chilites_biography.html

Vince