On 16 Sep 2002 at 17:48, Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

> On reflection, "ofay", having its origin in the 1920's
> as a disparaging racist term for a white is pretty
> close to the flavor of Furry's naked dislike, rooted
> in the Memphis racism of the 30s.  At minimum it
> certainly enriches the word choice.  To me, it's
> likely that she skillfully used the word "fey",
> knowing that it would also imply "ofay".
>
> This business of calling herself by a disparaging name
> reminds me of "Talk To Me" from the very next year,
> where she's saying

Well, I realize I'm weighing in very, very late on this one, but "Furry" is one of my
favorites.

I agree with Jim.  And I don't think the spelling of "fay" rather than "fey" is an
error.
As I posted during a previous discussion of this, I had a great grand uncle who was a
"race music" (i.e., gospel, blues) promoter in the South from the late 20's up to the
early 70's.  I remember him talking about the musicians he knew, trips they took and
the problems they had.  The term fay for ofay was common language, particularly for
people who routinely denied them access to meals after shows, a safe place to
sleep, etc.

I think Joni's choice of this word fits with her description of Memphis and it's
unfortunate decline.  A few years ago I had the pleasure of working with Isaac Hayes
who took me on a tour of Memphis - not the tourist stops but the places where songs
were written and records were made - woodsheding spots.  Neighborhoods and
houses where legends were born and raised.  Most of the places I saw are indeed
"waiting for the wreckers' beat."  I met a number of people there who attributed the
state of affairs to the overall economic disparity between the races in that city.

Brenda

n.p.: St. Louis v. Arizona
Go Angels!