Brenda,
First and foremost, I did not mean to address you personally.
Please forgive me if I have in any way offended you.  I used
your word "fiercely" to make a point.  It was/is hard to support
war.  But once I made that choice, based on reports I had
read or heard it seems, at least on this list, that it is easy for
me and I must love war.  Unfounded half truths have been reported
here, case in point Vince's' tirade on the Dashel speech, so when
this 800 number was given, I simply wanted to respond with the other
side.  I have since received several post blasting my wording.  You post
is the only one to contain reason. So please accept my sincere apology
if I have hurt or angered you in any way.
Now as for this post, thank you for additional information.  I will read it
and I do agree with every thing you've said here.  You are an intelligent,
well informed person. I have based my choice on the information I have
read, which is to say new information, true information could change my
mind.  Again, I thank you for both your post, and am sorry for any antagonism
sent your way.
 Kasey

On 5 Oct 2002 at 21:01, kasey simpson wrote:

> And just how would you "fiercely" defend that right?  I do support
> Bush on this. That choice  is not some need to kick a--  rather a
> resignation that some people can not be "talked" with.  You had a
> weekend of love and peace.  I've had a lifetime of freedom in a
> country that has had to fight many wars.  Why not get a group of JM
> listers and fly to Iraq? Play Sadam JM, and tell him you want peace.
> Then if he listens, and you come back alive, then call Washington and
> tell them how easy it is.  I would prefer peace, I would prefer love,
> but history has shown us that is not always possible. I will place the
> call, and let them know I support Bush,
>                        Kasey

I'm feeling some antagonism in your response and I'm not sure why.....You
quoted
me so I take it your comment was addressed to me.

I'm glad that you will place your call.  That's why I wrote my email to begin
with, to
encourage anyone on the list who supports the war.  It is democracy in action.

I can fiercely defend the right without fighting.  By being a citizen who
participates in
democratic and political processes and who speaks for a diversity of views and
fully
supports the expression of those views with the conviction of my belief in
democracy,
I feel that I am fiercely defending that right.  By doing what I can in my
work to lobby
for media diversity, I'm defending that right.  It's not fierce by its action;
it's fierce by
its conviction.  I believe in democracy.

I agree that some people cannot be talked with.  I am not anti-war.  However
this war
is NOT a defense of democracy.  It is about domination.  If you doubt that,
read the
"Defense Planning for Guidance" documents produced by the Office of the
Secretary
of Defense in 1992 (Cheney) and 2002 (Rumsfeld - basically Cheney by proxy)
and
the "Defense Strategy for the 1990's" also written by Cheney.  I also
recommend
reading Rumsfeld's "Transforming the Military" published in the May/June issue
of
Foreign Affairs.  This war is not another front in the war on terrorism; it is
the
culmination of a plan many years old.

And as some Senate members asked this week during their remarks on the
resolution, how are we going to pay for this war?  In his radio address,
President
Bush pledged US support for rebuilding Iraq after a conflict.  Nevermind the
fact that
he ran on a platform of not engaging in nation building - something that I
know my
fellow Republicans in my district considered important, how are we going to
pay for
this rebuilding after Saddam is gone?

What will this mean for our relationships with our allies? Will we lose the
support of
countries (like Egypt) which have been critical in the war on terrorism?  Are
we giving
nations with which we have tenuous relations at best (like China) or with
which we've
had hostile relations in the near past (like Russia) an issue on which to
unite against
us?  Will most of the free world think that we are the bully on the block who
needs to
be stopped? Our President is taking a position that is not only in opposition
to the UN
security council (and permanent members China, Russia and France) but also
undermines the UN generally.  As I hear from my friends in Washington, even
the
multilateralists in the Bush administration think that this is unwise.

What do you mean "a weekend of love and peace?"  If you're talking about the
fest, I
didn't go, so I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote or the war on
Iraq.

This is not simply an issue of war or peace and I don't see how it can be
reduced to
those terms.  Especially when the balance and security of a volatile region of
the
world (and the lives of millions of people who live there) are at stake.  Our
national
security is dependent upon global security.  Will a war in Iraq destabilize
the region
and thereby lead to reduced global security?  Until the answer to that
question is no,
I'm against it - not because I'm a peacenik, but because I'm a pragmatist.

Brenda

n.p.: Dexter Gordon - "Darn That Dream"

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.Get more from the Web.  FREE
MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com