Still an analogue mind in a digital world, I made a cassette tape (egad!) of
the songs which will appear on "A Travelogue" in the order given on
JoniMitchell.com.  I was attempting to discern if there was a thread of
continuity or a song cycle arc present by virtue of the lyrical content.  I
couldn't find one, but as in the case of all poetry, what speaks to me (or
doesn't) may not (or, may) to another.  If this is in fact the order of the
songs as they will appear, some of the choices seem uncharacteristically
obvious ("Refuge Of The Roads" to "Hejira") while others might be considered
incongruous ("Otis and Marlena" to "Amelia").

The only conclusion I can derive from this (perhaps pointless) exercise is
that the orchestral arrangements of some of these songs are likely to be
MARKEDLY DIFFERENT from the versions previously recorded, which would
mitigate seeming conflicts of pace and content based on this program of
existing versions.  I think this collection is going to be mind expansive in
terms of how listeners can hear a song they've known for years for the first
time.  Like Joni, Vince and Larry did with "Both Sides Now", both the
arrangements and vocal readings for these songs will likely place them in a
whole new perspective while referencing the ones of old.  Her inclusion of
"Love" and "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" are grand gestures in illustrating
her interpretive talents.

I can't wait.

CC

PS:  I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on the songs included in the
collection, some of which we've already read.  OK, here's MY only question:
"Otis and Marlena?"  Other than a new arrangement blowing my mind and all my
preconceptions away, I would have traded any of ten other songs to take its
place here.  While I acknowledge Joni's topical "while Muslims hold up
Washington" as having presaged the Iran hostage crisis even, I hope she
didn't include the song here to remind us of that fact.  Miss Cleo, she
aint!

"Fiction of the this is this and that is that, aaah!" -- JM