[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The vote comes
> up again in 2004 - how much can get done in two years? Not a lot. And then
> what will happen? People will vote for change again, and there ya' go.

Except that the conservative Supreme Court justices chosen and confirmed
to replace Chief Justice Rehnquist and Sandra Day O'Connor will be there
until they die or choose to retire. There's no voting them out, and what
the Supreme Court decides effects our life every day.

As obvious examples, we have Bush as president, reproductive rights,
civil rights, all because of what the Supreme Court decided. Ideally,
judges are completely impartial but in reality that's never the case.
They're labeled conservative or liberal partly because of what party
they're affiliated with, and partly by looking at their legal decisions
over time. Their underlying political philosophy always comes through in
their decisions; even if it's subtle, it's still there.

So when a president can "pack" the court, as Bush is now able to do,
that president's influence is felt for decades. And when someone as
conservative as Bush is able to do that there will be serious
consequences in ways we can't even imagine now. All other presidents
have had to nominate somewhat moderate judges in order to get them
confirmed; Bush will not have to do that.

> I voted for some Repubs and some Dems...I tried to vote for the person and
> not the party, I don't think this generalization stuff does anybody any good

This has been expressed by many people on the list and seems to be the
operating principle in politics these days, but I don't agree with it. I
think the generalization stuff is why people are not involved. How can
anyone decide on anything if it's all fuzzy? Then people just vote for
whoever seems likable, or whoever gives the simplest and most appealing
message, whether it's truthful or not, and not many people bother
looking deeper.

If there's no difference in the underlying philosophy of each party, why
do you think there ARE separate parties?  It's not by accident that, for
example, it's always a Democratic representative who wants to extend
unemployment benefits or raise the minimum wage, or that the Homeland
Security bill is held up because the Democrats want some benefits for
the workers, or that Bush's nominees for judges, who when questioned say
they'll overturn Roe v. Wade the first chance they get, are not
confirmed by the Democrats.

It astounds me that people do not see any difference between the
parties, especially these days when the Republicans are ruled by such
right-wingers. Didn't anyone but me see the platforms at the
conventions? That list from each one showed what each PARTY is aiming
for and there was a huge difference between the two in 2000. It doesn't
mean either party will neatly achieve those goals, of course, but with
the president and Congress both of the same party it is much more likely
that they will.

It takes a huge amount of money to run a campaign and that effects
everything, and there's a lot of compromise in politics (or there was
anyway before this new configuration) so such give-and-take always
confuses things, but for people to say there's no difference in the
parties just shows that people are not looking very closely.

It would take an extremely unusual Republican for me to vote for that
person, and I've not ever come across such a person. Even if the
candidate is a moderate, there is a reason she or he has chosen to
identify with the Republicans.

For me, it comes down to this: I don't agree with the basic philosophy
of the Republican party, which is that "rights inhere in the
individual". I think the responsibility to the community is much more
important, and so does the Democratic Party. And again, it never plays
out so neatly, or ideally, but those are the starting points.

Sorry for the teaching rant. Obviously, what I see as a superficial
understanding of the political system bugs me. My comments are not aimed
specifically at you, Bob, even though your message is what finally got
me to writing this stuff down, for whatever it's worth.

Debra Shea