Well, Joan...that's not really fair, if you're basing it on what went down on your last appearance there.

Don't forget, the Letterman show is taped in REAL TIME. The producers fully expect to put the show on air exactly as it plays with a minimum of deletion edits. I was there at that taping.

Joni's last visit brought with her some 70 odd musicians to perform "At Last." If anyone still has that performance on tape, you'll notice that the commercial break that preceeds her introduction is interminably long. The setup for all the seats and microphones and placement of the orchestra actually was handled smoothly and very quickly given the amount of work they needed to do. The "Rosie" show actually removed their set and configured the whole stage to accomodate the orchestra. They needed only to come in and sit down. Perhaps if Joni had a smaller entourage, there might have been some time for chit chat with Letterman prior to her taking her place at the mic. There was some perfunctory conversation afterwards but David was warm and effusive in his compliments.

I would have preferred his producers pulled the plug on the deer tick thing and gave more time to Joni, but then again, I'm biased. Maybe we'll have a chance to see if Leno or Letterman can accomodate the orchestra AND get up close and personal with the artist if Travelogue gets promotion opportunity. I'll stay up.

CC

"They sit up late and watch the Johnny Carson show."-- JM