Bob Shemkovitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>on Wed, 6 Nov 2002 03:28:10 EST, Fred wrote:
>
>> In my college days, way back in the early 30s, I wrote a piece for several
>> horns and rhythm section, and the horn players stood around the piano
playing
>> right into it while I held the damper pedal down (which releases the
dampers
>> allowing the strings to vibrate freely in response to the stimulus of the
>> horns). It was called "The Listening Well." It's kind of like the reverb
of a
>> huge cathedral or concert hall (or studio reverb) only it has more
overtones
>> and harmonics ... I call it "pitched reverb." A good example is Paul Horn's
>> classic album "Inside," flute recorded in the Taj Mahal. In conjunction
with
>> the thick clouds of reverb, the usually monophonic flute becomes a chordal
>> instrument. (By the way, Horn later recorded "Blue" and a couple of other
>> Joni songs.)
>
>Fred, one of my favorite styles of music is late 20s-early 30s small band
>jazz. Is this the style in which you wrote The Listening Well? From the
>sound of the instrumentation you mention, that's the impression I get.
>Did you record it, and if so, has it been put out on CD? I for one would
enjoy
>hearing it.

Well, it's not on CD, but if you have a wax cylinder player ...

You know, I may as well put a stop to this here and now; I guess in
cyberspace no one can see you smile. It's a joke, I'm just funnin' ya ... not
about the music but about when -- it was actually in the early 70s. And the
music was kind of modal late-Coltrane style. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

-Fred