I remember when i was just getting into music when I was 13 or so, and my friend was raving about Jimi Hendrix. Well, i thought he was white and when i found out the truth i was shocked and extremely embarrassed.
STeely Dan, I don't think I get, but love for their quirkiness etc... Frank Zappa called them, "DOWNER SURREALISM".
Blair

From: "mack watson-bush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "JMDL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: steely dan njc
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 20:13:22 -0600

Mark wrote:

  I have never really 'gotten' Steely Dan.

I don't think I did, or have, either Mark.  At least not to the extent of
being a big, big fan of theirs.  I remember in the 70's that they were very
big on the radio and I liked the tunes though not enough to buy them, and
never did, then.  A couple of years ago, trying to fulfill one of those
membership agreements, I purchased the cd 'A Decade of Steely Dan.'  After
listening to it quite a bit over the months past I have now an appreciation
for them that I did not have before.  I still don't know if I really "get"
them but I sure do like them.  The hit tunes still have about the same
effect on me as they did but there are a couple of other tunes on this cd
that far outshine them, in my opinion.  'Babylon Sisters' is superb and my
favorite that I can play over and over again, and still not get too much of
is 'Bad Sneakers.'   Blair asked on another unrelated post about our vision
of performers that we had not seen.  I was convinced these guys were black
until I found out better.  Now, I wonder how I could have thought that.

mack