A few years ago I was having a lively discussion with a friend who couldn't
believe I really thought Christine Collister was the greatest singer in the
country.  He said "Are you honestly telling me she's a greater singer than
Linda Thompson??"  Well, I responded by saying it was hard to compare as I'd
never seen the latter live, and doubted that I would.  Well, the original
question is moot, but now I'm glad to say that I HAVE seen Linda Thompson in
concert, and it felt like a privilege.

In a way, although her circumstances are VERY different, it was almost akin
to what it must have been like seeing David Helfgott play live again after
all he had gone through.  [For those who don't know about her, she was one of
England's very greatest folk singers, her style the epitome of
undemonstrative eloquence; her singing career was effectively scotched by a
rare condition known as hysterical dysphonia; she didn't make a record for
about 17 years, and didn't sing in concert for even longer].  There was a
mixture of great warmth and goodwill, combined with trepidation about whether
she'd get through the gig, what her voice would sound like, and so on.

It turned out well in the end.  It must have been a huge emotional boost
having two of her children on stage with her, son Teddy and daughter Kamila,
both of whom have beautiful voices themselves.  There was a lovely, informal
air to the concert, which was held in a small and very intimate theatre in
west London (the Lyric, Hammersmith).  Her voice certainly isn't the majestic
instrument it was when she was in her pomp, but it sounded in remarkably good
nick considering what she's been through.  The emotional authority and
mastery of interpretive nuance are undimmed, and there were moments where we
could hear some of the real power she used to weild - sometimes in a few
impromptu, off-mike notes.

She sang most of the songs from her lovely new album, mixing in a few old
Richard & Linda numbers like Lonely Hearts and her nearest thing to a solo
hit, Telling Me Lies (which was a big hit for Harris, Parton and Ronstadt).
Then at the end she sang I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - well what
can I say, big grins were breaking out in the audience.  What would she do
for an encore?  Dimming of the Day, of course, which despite Bonnie Raitt's
superb version (and indeed Richard T's sterling solo renditions) remains
indisputably Linda's song.  That was a Moment!

Azeem in London
NP: Linda Thompson, who else - One Clear Moment, a wonderful song, title
track from her first solo album, which has never been issued on CD - for
shame!

"Better an instant with the angels
Than a lifetime with the saints
All I need is one clear moment