In a message dated 11/11/2002 4:22:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, Relayer211 writes:

> I've been thinking about these lyrics.any ideas about what
> they mean?

Relayer, I don't know how you come up with these questions, but I'm glad that you do!
:~)

For me, the only way I can make sense out of the lyric you've quoted (from Court &
Spark) is to put it in context of the song as a whole.

In the song, the singer comes upon a singer in the park - they share a 'moment', make
eye contact, whatever - sufficient to encourage the guy to 'spark' her. They begin to
make conversation, a snippet of which she includes here and your reference.

The guy seems to be saying that he has abandoned religious thoughts/beliefs he once
had..."I cleared myself, I sacrificed my blues" and didn't want to be associated with
people whom he now views as hypocrites -the guilty people with stains on their daily
bread (a reference to the Lord's prayer "Give us this day our daily bread") and their
Christian names (referencing the names announced to babies upon their baptism).

He then builds on the statement by saying "You could complete me, I'd complete
you"...not a reference to mini-me but rather saying that unlike religion, having
failed to satisfy him, he can now see himself being made whole in a relationship with
her. Just like a smooth-talking guy...and she almost falls for it, then says she
"couldn't let go of LA". Of course, the next song starts out "Help me, I think I'm
falling in love again...", so go figure! :~)

A wonderful intro song on a masterful record...when I hear those opening piano chords
I'm locked in for the whole ride!

Bob

NP: The Beatles, "Sun King"