(from my memory i think this is pretty much how it went)

at the joni mitchell tribute jimmy spoke about he was a kid (18 yrs old)
working at sunset sound (studio) mostly working in the back, fixing
stuff...one day the manager told him that he would be engineering david
crosby who was coming in...jimmy didn't know who that was but thought, oh,
cool...bing crosby's son! he asked if there would be a big band but the
manager said no, just a  vocal & instrument...when david arrived he had a
beautiful girl with him with long blond hair & a strange looking instrument
jimmy had never seen before (dulcimer)... so they recorded about 12 or more
songs & they turned down the lights while she was playing... jimmy said he
was completely mesmerized by her songs....when david introduced them
afterwards, jimmy said he could hardly speak he was so in awe of her & when
he asked what the woman's name was so he could fill out the studio log & was
told, her name is joni mitchell...

jimmy said to me before that he doesn't know what happened to that demo,
that probably david has it...