Welcome to the JMDL, Andrew!  Francophile describes one who is enamored of
French culture, I'm wondering what term applies to those who hold Canadian
music dear.  That would be me.  Neil Young, Barenaked Ladies, Rush and of
course my beloved Siquomb (...and you know there may be more).  Oh Canada...

> It's Joni's way with lyrical composition and speech
> rhythm that most attract me to her work.

Me, too!  Yet the beauty of her musical genius is so multi-layered that even
as she vocalizes so succinctly, she does magic with her gestural and
percussive guitar, dulcimer and piano virtuosity.  At the moment I'm
thinking of "Coyote" ... how inspired her speech rhythm throughout, how
allegorical her lyrics.  (I've always marveled at how the first three words
of the song form a true "exposition," setting forth the meaning and purpose
of the song so cleverly from the get go.)  One barely has the sensual
capacity to give attention to the simultaneous beauty that is the cadence of
her guitar playing, and the sense of movement it conveys.  To me, her
artistic gifts are otherworldly.  A woman who tunes her guitar to the sounds
she hears in her mind, and in so doing transforms it into an instrument no
one else has ever played before.  Kinda...

But I digress, and my brevity deficit disorder is showing.  I was just gonna
say that I subscribe to the "don't worry about what you can't control"
school of thought with regard to recognition of Joni's vocal acuity.  I
don't characterize her voice as being underestimated when I know that *I'm*
appreciating it with all *my* heart.  I don't care if Rolling Stone ever
prints platitudes about her, or if all of her albums don't go platinum.
There is no better authority than my own ears, I figure.  I'll just buy my
copy of Travelogue tomorrow, my most sincere form of flattery, and let
providence handle the rest.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on Joni's music, Andrew.
Glad you're here.

-Julius