In a message dated 11/22/2002 5:41:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Do you think he did jump the shark?  If so, when?

I love JT's stuff, no doubt. But if I have to be honest about his shark
jumping, I would submit the following:

First jump - Walking Man: After a solid debut, and two flawless classics
(Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide Slim), and the underrated One Man Dog (I find it
a very quirky and fun change of pace, worth the ride for "Don't Let Me Be
Lonely Tonight"), Walking Man just seems to drag and is dull, dull, dull.
Hard for me to make it all the way to the end.

Then he bounces back with the excellent Gorilla & In The Pocket (Julius,
let's jam on some of this stuff next fest), and redefines himself with a
larger sound than on his basically solo earlier efforts. JT, Flag, Dad Loves
His Work...three more bonafide solid efforts!! (except for "Her Town Too",
which I loathe, but maybe that's just me).

It is here that JT dons the skis again..."That's Why I'm Here" shows him to
be pretty much out of ideas. Yes, the release as well as its successors is
pleasant enough ear candy, but when it's done nothing seems to stick. But he
does get kudos for continuing to push himself and continuing to make
enjoyable work, and listening to that mellow voice DOES feel like coming
home.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure.

Bob

NP: Joni, "Eastern Rain"...If only THIS beauty had been re-cast on
Travelogue!!!! It seems that 'Dawntreader' stands out for all of us on Tlog,
how cool would it have been for her to go back and snag a few of these
unreleased gems?