I have listened to T'log about 10 times thus far and as with all of Joni's
work repeated listening reveals layers. One thing that has jumped out at me is
how Joni is painting on a huge canvas with lots of colors. To me it is the
prime example of Joni's painting with words and music concept.
Sometimes its a short phrase. Examples:
O&M "Slippers are shuffling into folding chairs" the strings sound like
shuffling slippers.
SOS "You're stumbling in shadows" there is a quick, jagged piano chord
stumbling.
Other times it is the entire arrangement. Woodstock is transformed into a
dirge. TLTISR becomes tongue in cheek. Cherokee aches with longing for the
lost friend.
I think this is the music Joni has always heard in her head and it must have
been a powerful and liberating experience for her.
This is a major work.
peace, david