Been catching up with the digests at smoe.org from the past few days (my
computer crashed in a power outageFriday and ate all the mail in my inbox
;-(  Lots of good reading on critics and art and everything else.  My 3
cents -

Joni's art - She has always told us she was a painter first - from the time
she was a child.  I know what that is like because I was painting everything
in sight from the time I was a toddler.  It was like I was born with that
and I wasn't much good at anything else except words and a love of music
throughout school.  A love for, and desire to want to do nothing but,
painting from such a young age is something that is so inherently buried in
me that it will always want to express itself.  I had to do other things to
make a living (having no benefactors or patrons to support me) and had to
suppress the painting to a large extent when I "grew up."  I did find a way
to excel at other things that were more immediately "marketable" and
provided a steady income.  In a sense, that is what Joni did, too.  Her
music may always be regarded as superior to her painting, but as she has
said a few times, that was more of a "job" to her.  But her first love and
urge is to paint!  I don't have the luxury of time to indulge myself in
painting as much as I'd like to, but if, and when I ever do, that it where
you will find me.  Not to become prominent or famous in the art world, not
to compete with thousands of other painters, not to have the esteemed
critics approve of me, but because it is something that is essential for me
to do.  It is another way of expressing what one sees, hears, thinks and
imagines where words and sometimes even music fails. The other side of the
artist coin are people like I met in college who had never drawn or painted
or created anything before who enrolled in the arts program saying "I am
going to be one of the greatest artists of all time."  Disturbing to me then
and now.  I seriously doubt that Joni likes to include her paintings with
her music packaging because she wants to split peoples' critical attention.
"Oh why are you forcing me to look at these paintings of yours when all I
want to do is hear your lyrics and music?"  I think she simply does it
because that is part of who she is.  Hopefully it doesn't *detract* from
someone's enjoyment of the music.  I really don't think she is doing it so
that people will now consider her a great "artiste."

I don't think all of Joni's lyrics are poetry, but some definitely strikes
me as brilliant and genuine poetry.  My academic pedigree and achievements
are not in the stratospheric level, but not entirely pedestrian, either.
Many of her lyrics rank right up there with, or better, a lot of what I was
exposed to in my advanced English classes. A number of Dylan, Van Morrison
and Stevie Wonder (oh and Jim Morrison ;-) songs also qualify as bonafide
poetry in my book.

Critics - I mostly avoid reading the "professional" ones in advance - they
rarely help me in choosing whether to buy a piece of music or art or a movie
ticket.  A few of the ones who have reviewed Travelogue truly do not seem to
have really listened to it or have just turned in a hack job.  The most
insightful reviews of Joni's and many other artists' music I've ever read
have been right here on this list.

Kakki