Source: http://www.scotlandonsunday.com/thereview.cfm?id=1307392002

ALBUM OF THE WEEK: Travelogue by Joni Mitchell
Nonesuch 7559798172, #19.99

On tribute albums we marvel at those who reinterpret the work of the artist and mutter
unpleasantries about the ones who slavishly clone the original. Joni Mitchell has
wisely decided to
save them all the bother and reinterpret herself , and what a wonderful job she has
made of it. This
has the sweep of Hollywood's golden era, with 'Slouching Towards Bethlehem' and 'The
Sire Of Sorrow'
more blinding than hitching down the road to Damascus. 'Hejira' was made for this kind
of treatment,
but the double album set's finest moments are probably the creative reworking of even
more familiar
songs such as 'Woodstock', 'The Last Time I Saw Richard' and 'The Circle Game'. The
former is
transformed from a eulogy to the last great act of 60s hippiedom into something more
of a social
documentation, blessed with musical hindsight. Another song that seems to have been
subconsciously
screaming out for this treatment is 'Sex Kills', which comes over all horny and on the
prowl.
Travelogue may symbolise journeying the length and breadth of Mitchell's career, but
it also takes
the listener past vistas never usually seen on the conventional pop and rock routes.
And it is first
class all the way.

COLIN SOMERVILLE