Disclaimer first: I've only listened to Travelogue once through, but I won't
let that stop me (insert emoticon here).

There is sometimes a fine line between program music and its most base
rendering, what is called "Mickey Mousing," most often heard in cartoons in
which every action has an equal musical reaction. Obviously, we don't want
that here (and I don't think that's what we get).

But Joni has always used programmatic elements in her arrangements and
orchestrations, like the example you gave of her original version of "Trouble
Child" in conjunction with the line "breaking like the waves at Malibu." I
dig Mendoza's version of this, as I do his rendition of the bombers "turning
into butterflies above our nation."

Being a painter at heart, she sees music as just another set of colors,
which, of course, it is. I'm absolutely sure that Mendoza took no license he
wasn't issued.

Fred