I forget who posted the argument that there is value in good criticism.

 I know from experience that a good editor (one who knows her stuff) is a
requirement for most writers, and this is a bit different from criticizing a
finished product, as you mentioned someone criticizing yours in-progress so
you could improve it before it was finished.

 But I have often thought that if I was in a business where expressing
myself was my art -- like music, writing -- I might just avoid reviews
altogether, both positive and negative, so as to stay tuned to my own muse
and to hell what anyone else had to say.

Most of us are far too affected by the perceptions of others, whether we
want to be or not. We're too eager to please, and too sensitive to
criticism.

And then you can twist the old adage to:
Those who can, sing and write; those who can't, criticize.

Kate du Nord