>Has anyone else noticed that all the breaths (inhalations) have been deleted
>from T'log? As an advertising copywriter, this is something I've done many
>times while mixing final voice for mostly older actors or voice-over talent
>who sort of wheeze or rattle during inhalation. I've never noticed it having
>been done in music, although I'm sure this isn't a first.

I hear Joni's inhalations, and no wheezing.

But this reminds me of an anecdote about Barbra Streisand. Apparently, early
in her career a recording engineer took it upon himself to "clean up" her
vocals by removing all those "distracting" inhalations (and in those
pre-ProTools days that meant physically slicing and dicing recording tape;
doing that for a whole album's worth of tracks would have been an enormous
task). Of course, the result sounded totally unnatural, and when Streisand
heard it she flipped out (rightly so) and demanded they be put back in. I'm
sure the engineer was very sorry by the time he finished.

-Fred