about a month ago we were discussing the issue of overseas manufacturing,
sweatshops, etc...i mentioned my trip to china & one of the factorys & how
this economy was helping the poor there...
here is an article that tells more about this story...

an excerpt:
"These inland rural areas lag behind the coastal regions,
and so the income gaps are growing. But lives are
unmistakably getting better almost everywhere. (The only
exception I saw was Henan Province, where AIDS is
impoverishing villages.) Partly gains come because peasants
in villages like Gaoshan go south to work in those
sweatshops denounced by American students but treasured by
Chinese workers."
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/03/opinion/03KRIS.html?ex=1039954904&ei=1&en=
7172f87126a4a5c9