Because Joni has often commented on her guitar tuning
and technique - how she uses the guitar to create more
orchestral sounds -- I think Travelogue is a natural
progression, having an actual orchestra at her
disposal. I'm so curious if Mendoza's arrangements are
his entirely (based on her original songs) or if they
collaborated some.

I found this quote in the jmdl library from a 1990
interview, but I think it can be applied to
Travelogue:

FROM: Diary of a Decade with Trevor Dunn for Greater
London Radio. Taped 6/9/90. Broadcast 7/9/90.

JM: Well, I think each record -- it's all experimental
work. You can't -- you can't just go "this works" and
stay there. It would be terribly dull, you know. Like
I mean my patron saints, Miles Davis and Picasso, are
restless people. I'm a restless artist. I try
different things, and they succeed or fail depending
on who you talk to. We mixed those albums for what we
thought was appropriate for the music at the time, you
know. To me, the orchestration is as important as the
words, but not to a lot of people. It depends who
you're listening to. People who like instrumental
music, they like that, you know, they like that
attention to detail. Some people would rather that I
just did everything with the guitar and nothing else.
Had I done that, I wouldn't be alive in this business
today, you know?

Jenny (digesting Travelogue a little more before
commenting, too)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com