Kate wrote:

> when something is purchased from a nonprofit, the value of the item is not
> tax deductible but the amount above that value usually is...

I didn't know this and have always just taken the entire amount for a tax
deduction in cases of charity auctions, etc. How does one ascertain the
value of this Joni litho?  Joni gave it away for free, I assume, and I
wonder if then she can take some tax deduction for her own donation.  Is
that the reasoning behind the tax code in this case - because Joni is
already taking a deduction for part of it (a value I suppose she would
determine absent a formal appraisal) the buyer can only take a deduction for
the balance over and above what Joni takes?

Kakki, wishing Joni would donate an original painting somewhere! ;-)