This is just an afterthought, but I'm wondering why Joni didn't choose to
change this line ("the last time I saw Richard was Detroit in '68 and he told
me...") from T'Log to a more recent date (i.e., "Detroit in '88" or maybe
"Detroit in '98."  However, "Detroit in '78" certainly wouldn't/doesn't scan
right).
I mean, back when the song was originally released (in '71), the "Detroit in
'68" line would have been only 2 or 3 years earlier, rather than almost 35
years ago.
I think with the update, younger fans could have related to the immediate
sentiments a bit more, rather than what must seem like ancient history to
many.

The only legitimate reason I can think she might argue against this change
would be due to the factual dishonesty it would express (especially since
it's such a direct and specific personal reference).
After all, she made several other changes in lyrics---apparently without
blinking an eye.

Any thoughts and/or opinions on this?  BTW, I'm finally beginning to really
did T'Log---particularly STBethlehem, YDFlat Tires, BCool, TDawntreader,
TCGame, WStock, GMBABoogieM, and O&Marlena (among others). Personally, I
still think it's a bit bombastic and over-blown at times---and I could also
do without the relentless input of Wayne Shorter---but over-all I feel it's a
very successful, impressive and ambitious project (at least on it's own
terms), and I would never seriously presume to second-guess the great Joni
Mitchell.   ;-)

XXXOOO,
Billy