You know, I agree that the album is incredibly powerful, insightful,
beautiful.  I just can't figure out why it has been so easily dismissed by
much of the music press. I wonder if it's because there's too much genius
concentrated in one album.  So much that many people just turn the whole thing
off. Or maybe the emotional landscape is so upsetting that many people react
with a protective rejection. Also I sometimes wonder if the combination of
Joni's poetry, her unusual melodic gift and the soundscapes of the
arrangements have formed a synthesis that doesn't fit easily into any musical
genre or pigeonhole so people simply cannot relate to it at first. I do
believe that the album will stand the test of time and will one day be seen as
a kind of summing up, much like Stauss's Four Last Songs.