Current events got you down? Your portfolio withered away to naught? Pacing
the floor waiting for Joni to write a new song?

Don't worry about any of that crap! Make your resolution to be more like ME,
an oblivious idiot who entertains himself by compiling Joni covers. And what
better way to start than with this month's compilation, the first of this new
year, Volume 36 in the ongoing series. A virtual world tour of artists and
pseudo-artists who, like us, love Joni and feel thereby compelled to sprint
to a recording studio and document their talents or lack thereof for all
mankind to behold.

Herein is the table of contents for Volume 36...but first I fall prostrate
and declare myself not worthy to the following contributors:

Leslie Mixon
Steve Klink
Live Maria Roggen
Monica Cardinale
Deb Messling

1. The Albion Band - Big Yellow Taxi: Like Fairport Convention, The Albion
Band was formed by Ashley Hutchings, I have to admit that I have a hard time
keeping track of all the permutations and combinations of these Fairport
people. But this cover is a nice live peppy version, even includes a spoken
intro declaring the song's universal relevance.
2. Gloria Loring - Chelsea Morning: A 45-only release from the late 60's, way
before Gloria became a "Days Of Our Lives" star or a spokesperson for
juvenile diabetes. Speaking of TV, Gloria also wrote the theme songs for
"Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life"!
3. Howard Keel - Both Sides Now: Speaking of TV stars, up steps one of the
stars of Dallas to croon the franchise. Of course Howard was a star of
Broadway way before...my first introduction to him was as the star of Show
Boat.
4. The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain - A Case of You: Probably
appropriate, since one of Joni's first instruments was the uke. If you like
an arrogant female Rex Harrison speak-singing over a sea of strummed &
plucked ukeleles, then this one's for you! These guys play all the time in
the UK, so if you're so inclined go catch a gig.
5. Mia & The Steve Klink Trio - Little Green: Steve of course released a
full-length Joni tribute CD this year, but this lovely lovely track was from
wife Mia Znidaric's solo cd released earlier. Did I say that this is really
lovely? And a special nod to Steve for sending the CD to me gratis! (Of
course I DID buy 20 of his cd's...)
6. Marlon Cherry - Dreamland: Fellow Carolinian (Marlon's from Charlotte, NC)
Marlon Cherry turns in an outstanding take on Dreamland, going extra-heavy on
the percussion & bass, thus restoring the rhythm that Roger McGuinn sucked
out with his cover oh so many volumes ago.
7. Glenn Miller Band - Both Sides Now: Glenn loved this song so much he arose
from the dead to play once more with his big band. No, not really...I made
that part up. Benny Goodman's version blows this one out of the water, this
one sounds too much like a marching band.
8. Julien Fleisher - The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines: Wow...if you think Dry
Cleaner is a tough song to tackle anyway, try doing it at the breakneck pace
that Julien does it, he knocks the thing out in a minute and a half! And this
band is tight!
9. Tommy Banks Big Band - Big Yellow Taxi: Canadian Tommy Banks (who had
previously recorded some other covers as half of the duo Tom & Judy) here
leads a great-sounding big band through a rollicking taxi take, lots of nice
solos and they really swing it. Even if you're tired of the song, you'll love
this cut.
10. Live Maria Roggen & Lars Andreas Haug - Woodstock: So who woulda thunk
that a jazz vocal & TUBA would sound so cool? But it does, this one is unique
and awesome. Even more so because the Norwegian songstress donated her CD to
the cause.
11. The Red Birds - Both Sides Now: The world tour continues as we journey
onwards to the land of sushi & karaoke...The Red Birds were a Japanese pop
group, unfortunately their take on the franchise is no great shakes.
12. Margo Hennebach - Song To A Seagull: Tucked away as a hidden track and
referred to as "Fly Silly Seabird", Margo's crystal-clear voice rings through
a fine acapella solo version of STAS.
13. Phil Allen - Woodstock: Phil's lovely organ is on display here for all to
enjoy. Oh wait, that doesn't sound quite right...anyway, Phil plays a funky
organ instrumental version of the Mathews Southern Comfort arrangement of
Woodstock, with some dandy pedal steel thrown in for good measure. Everyone
sing along!
14. Rodney Scott - (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care: An Elvis wannabe
(and really, aren't we all?), Rodney cranks this one out in fine rockabilly
fashion, makes me want to put a nickel in the jukebox and spin some chick in
a cashmere sweater & a poodle skirt!
15. Allan Capson - Both Sides Now: Sort of a cross between Oliver & Elmer
Fudd. Allan, a Canadian balladeer that hopefully found another line of work,
proves that BSN is not a totally easy song to sing if one has only a one
octave range.
16. Sylvia - Marcie: Not to be confused with Marcie's version of
"Sylvia"...Sylvia's a country singer from America's heartland (Kokomo,
Indiana) who's been on the scene since 1984. A very pretty take on a VERY
beautiful song. You can even hear a sample at:
<A HREF="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sylvia2";>http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sylvia2</A>
17. Mary Ellen Wessels - I Don't Know Where I Stand: I love the start of this
one...the piano arrangement reminds me of something Professor Roy Bittan
would do. Unfortunately Mary Ellen's wavering vocal, along with her
determination to o-ver-e-nun-ci-ate, makes this one less than it could be.
Plus her last name looks too much like "weasel", but she can't really help
that.
18. Steve Fisk - Woodstock: OHMIGOD! This is the kind of Joni cover that I
live for! Throw Devo, Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, and some Trippy Eurotechno
spices into the pot and stir it up! Hard to describe. Features a sampling of
Max Yasgur Chanting "I'm A Farmer" as well as a techno-take fadeout ending of
Sly Stone's "Want To Take You Higher". Those of you in the great Pacific
Northwest may know Steve as a producer of some of that scene's biggest acts,
including Nirvana, Soundgarden, ans Screaming Trees.
19. Morty Lewis - Both Sides Now: Or I should say "Morty Lewis & his Galaxy
Sax"...still doesn't ring a bell? Well, that just means you haven't been
frequenting the Holiday Inn lounges enough! This one's actually cheesy enough
to be fun and make you want to do the watusi or the swim or something. And
ironically, by the time Morty finally cuts loose with his moose-calling, the
record fades away, as I'm sure Morty has since done as well.
20. Ulf Lundell - Vin Till Frukost: A nice Sting-like version of "Chelsea
Morning"...I'm not sure what the translation means, but I'm thinking it's
something like "Drink wine until you taste fructose" and I have no idea how
that connects with Chelsea Morning, so I'm just going to go back to
watusi-ing.

So there you go, 20 tracks, 20 more should-have-been hits. Blame it on those
restrictive radio playlists. Some fine day I'm gonna win that damn powerball,
buy a radio station, and play nothin' but Joni covers all day!

But until that day, the only way you can hear this compilation is to send me
a blank & postage, or at least a couple bucks to cover the costs of media,
mailing, and the nice full-cover label which this month features Joan as the
object of affection in a heart.

Euro-jmdler's who want a copy can contact my partner in cover-crime John van
Tiel and he can hook you up.

Bob

NP: Gloria Loring, "Chelsea Morning"