I haven't paid strict attention to all the discussion
about the art included with Travelogue, so I've
probably missed someone else making this observation
way before me.

The picture of George W shows an older woman who
appears to be in Muslim dress. She's sort of sneaking
up behind him, kind of like the fanatical wrath that
led to 9/11 took the U.S. by surprise. In the picture
of Osama bin Laden, he's got a young woman showing her
breasts sitting on his shoulders. I think it may
represent the western world excesses kind of smothering
Muslim fundamentalism.

In both cases, perceived evil is represented by a
woman. (Interesting, since the Bush administration's
view seems to imply - by detaining young Arab men, for
example, - that young men are to blame for terrorism,
not women.)

The young woman is just that - young - just as the U.S.
is young compared to the Middle East. The old woman is
old, as is the ME. I think the pictures are a pair, to
be taken together - sort of like 2/3 of a triptych.

Also, the flame coming out of the twin towers looks
like the devil's face as commonly depicted in western
art. (I know, everybody saw that before me...)
And, today I've started reading the book "Reverence"
which I referenced in an earlier post. In Chapter 2,
the author says that a poet described a world without
reverence. I almost dropped the book as I read the
lines "Turning and turning in the widening gyre..."
Call it synchronicity - I've been learning to play STB
the last couple of days, although he was quoting the
Yeats poem.
(And many thanks to Marian and Sue for their tablature!)

I think that STB is my favorite Joni song - if I had to
pick one. I think I've played it about a couple dozen
times in 2 days and I'm still not tired of playing it!

lots of love
Anne